No Gold Glove award for Span

By Bill Ladson

WASHINGTON – Nationals center fielder Denard Span said recently that winning the Gold Glove would mean the world to him, but he didn’t win the award Tuesday. Instead, it went to the Mets’ Juan Lagares.

Span is considered to be one of the best defensive center fielders in baseball. This past season, he played 147 games in center fielder and made four errors. It seemed like he always made a great running catch to save a game for Washington. In ’13, Span didn’t make an error, but the Gold Glove went to Brewers center fielder Carlos Gomez.

The award is determined by a survey of managers and coaches, which make up 75 percent of the voting, and the Society for Sabermetric Reasearch, which accounts for the other 25 percent.

“I prepared myself for whatever happened,” Span said by phone . “I’m not surprised. Last year, I didn’t make any errors. This year I made four errors, so I didn’t win it last year making no errors. I guess I was prepared for what was ever going to happen.”

The Nationals recently picked up Span’s option worth $9 million and he already is talking about having a better year than this past season. He is arguably coming off the best year his career. He led the team in batting average and set career highs in hits [184] and stolen bases [31].

“I haven’t been an All-Star or an MVP or won a Gold Glove. There is a lot of room for improvement in every facet in my game,” Span said. “Even though I had a good year, I’m not satisfied with that. I want to be remembered as a great player. I’m going to continue to work hard. Every facet of my game can improve.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: