It's official: Rijo is dismissed

Jose Rijo was told by Nationals general manager Jim Bowden on Thursday morning that he has been dismissed as Bowden’s special assistant. Rijo also said that nine others members of the Nationals were dismissed, but that was not confirmed by the team.

Rijo declined to say any more until he the team makes the official announcement.

Rijo has been linked to Carlos Alvarez David Lugo, who previously called himself Esmailyn Gonzalez. The shortstop, who received a $1.4 million signing bonus from the Nationals in 2006, allegedly falsified his name and age. In Washington’s 2008 media guide, Lugo is listed as being 19 years old, but he is four years older. Major League Baseball’s department of investigations is looking into the matter. Rijo continues to maintain that his innocence.  

1 Comment

This is incredibly frustrating. It’s Spring Training, and almost all we’re hearing about is off-the-field issues that cast a terrible shadow over the organization.
All off-season, I look forward to talking baseball in the Spring, and all anyone is talking about is scandal.
Maybe when the season starts, all of this stuff will subside, particularly if we get a few early wins.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 60 other followers

%d bloggers like this: